Thursday, October 26, 2006

Have you ever...

just not been able to get into a book? I used to make myself finish anything I started, but now I've decided life's too short!
I was trying to read Michelle Lovric's "The Remedy". I'd enjoyed her "The Floating Book" and bought a copy of The Remedy when I missed a connection and ended up with an hour and a half to kill at Birmingham New Street...

I'm still not sure what it was I just couldn't get into about the book, mainly, I think, that I wasn't really bothered what happened about the characters and it never got to "unputdownable" status. So I gave up.

Next on the list is "The Conjuror's Bird"...

Oh, and I've been asked to write a book review for an academic journal. Bit scary. The book itself (a biography) doesn't look too bad, 350 pages, and looks fairly interesting. I've agreed to do it, as it's good experience (and I'll get my name in a journal, isn't that exciting?!!) but I'm not totally convinced I can write 1000 words of review...

10 comments:

Mary Anne said...

sure you can write 1000 words, kiddo. Just pretend it's a blog post! Seriously, I think you will do an excellent job of reviewing the book.

I decided a long time ago that life is too short to continue reading something that doesn't touch me in some way.

Anonymous said...

Oooh - I remember Norma (of Now Norma Knits) saying something about The Conjuror's Bird - hang on a mo ... - yes, she used to work for the writer.

I've read it - it was good :-)

Piglottie said...

Congratulations on the book review, and I'm sure you will do fine. Like Mary Anne says, just pretend its a blog post!

Anonymous said...

Oooh how exciting. You can write 1000 words no problem. If in doubt, quote!

There are many books that I have not been able to get into. I tend to use them for insomnia cures and sooner or later they switch to being un-put-downable. Sadly, this is often at 2am when I really should be sleeping. I think it must be all about your mood.

The exception to this rule is Wuthering Heights, which is a dreadful book and I don't think I will ever finish it.

Rain said...

Good luck with the review, I'm sure you'll be fine.

I used to try and finish everything I started too and it was Emma that broke me, I just couldn't get into it despite loving JA in general.

Now if I don't get a feel for something I move on, too many books - not enough time.

KnitYoga said...

Good luck with the book review. I'm sure you'll do a great job! :-)

scarletprincess said...

Writing 100 words on a book has to be so much easier than on a subject you know next to nothing about- like my project for instance! Also, if I dont become enthralled by a book after like 100 pages or so I just don't carry on- it's like watching a boring movie on t.v. when you know something better is on the video shelf!

maylin said...

Despair not! I am still here and thinking of you with something on my needles for you. Truth to tell I can't wait to get back to it but another 'duty' project calls first. Good Luck with the review, I am sure it will be hard work but such a buzz.

Seahorse said...

How exciting! I'm sure 1000 words won't be too hard!

I also used to finish everything but a while ago I realised I have so many books and so little reading time, that it was a really silly philosophy!

susoolu said...

Ah, you can do the 1000 words, easily (however, the 1000 intelligent words.... but you can do those too!).