Saturday, April 05, 2014

Days out: Gainsborough Old Hall

I went up to Mum's for the Mothering Sunday weekend and we had a day out to Gainsborough whilst I was there. We mooched around the newish shopping area, Marshall's Yard, where we had some lunch, before heading over to Gainsborough Old Hall. I think I last went there on a school trip 25 years ago (how time flies).

It's a Medieval Manor House, visited by Richard III and Henry VIII, and also housed some of the Separatists, who engaged in Puritan worship in the hall. Later on some of their group would travel to America on the Mayflower.

The internal photos are a bit fuzzy as I didn't have my flash on.


I climbed all the way to the top of the tower to have a look over the rest of the building and surrounding bits of Gainsborough. It was a lovely day.

Rather unfortunate model of Henry VIII, complete with enormous codpiece!!


I could remember a few parts (mainly the Ghost Corridor) from when I visited years ago, but there's a lot more to see now, and I think it would be a great place to visit with children.

No comments: