Saturday, January 04, 2014
A week before Christmas we got a new shed. The old one, which is brick-built, has a leaky roof, and anything stored in it had a tendency to go mouldy. But, as it's attached to the garage, and there's asbestos in the roof, there wasn't much we could do about it without having a hugely expensive rebuilding operation. So, the interim solution was to get a new shed, and site it somewhere that hasn't really been used much up until now.
This is the space between our house and the house next door, which I'd used a bit for growing vegetables, but it didn't really get enough sun, and was wasted space, so it seemed like a good idea for a shed to be there instead.
I spent quite a lot of time in October and November clearing weeds away from this area:
Reconstructing the vegetable raised beds into one taller bed, digging up the old compost heap in the corner (created by a former owner of the house!) and re-siting all of our existing compost bins:
Moving piles of bricks and lumps of concrete. Then the builder came and began construction of a proper base for it:
Filled with concrete (the OH banned me from writing "Daisy woz ere" in it.)
Laid weed-suppressing membrane around the edges of it, with gravel on top:
And then the shed was delivered, and looks fantastic!
We ordered some shelves to go with it too - so much more storage room than our old shed!
I can't believe it's finally here!