Friday, August 22, 2014

An explosion of projects

So, in my last post, I'd had to start a new sock pattern so that I had some train knitting to do whilst I was away. The first of those socks (Wise Hilda's Basic Ribbed Socks, in Bergère de France Opal)
is now complete and I'm pleased with the fit- my heels are very narrow so this is a great pattern. If you have wider heels you might want to knit the heel on more stitches.


Then I've been working on my Not Nautical or Striped Nautical Striped Jumper. You might remember that I was working out whether I could get gauge or not. Well, I didn't, but I decided that I'd try knitting the smallest size and it should work out at about the right size for me (this is already sounding ominous, isn't it?). So, I'm knitting away. It's 100% cotton, so quite hard work to knit with, although beautifully soft.


The slight flaw with this one is that I then discovered my 15 balls of yarn are two different colourways - they were all in a bargain bin at a massive discount, and I suspect were also seconds. But the colours aren't drastically different so I'm going to do alternate rows and call it a design feature. On the left in the photo below is one colourway, and on the right is the other. So the difference isn't huge...


But, of course, then I got intrigued by another pattern, as Iris (whose blog I've read for years, and who I'm really pleased to see back on the blogging scene) inspired me join in the Garter Yoke Cardi Knit-Along, as I'd admired the one she was starting, and she was using Rowanspun DK, which I also had in my stash. And which also counts towards this year's target as I needed an adult sized garment in DK to knit for this year's challenge. The pattern is Melissa LaBarre's Garter Yoke Cardigan, which should hopefully produce a practical cardigan that I can wear for work once it gets colder. I got gauge on 4.5mm needles, and am knitting the smallest size (I hope that was the right thing to do, but I didn't want positive ease with this pattern as I'm intending to wear it mostly unbuttoned).


And, of course, I still have my leftover sock yarn blanket to get on with! 


Still, that's only four projects on the go...

2 comments:

Iris said...

Thank you for the kind mention on your blog - and wow, you've been busy! You've already caught me up with the Garter Yoke Cardi!! I really like the colour of your cardi, and the colour of the cotton yarn too. It's been ages since I've last knitted with cotton, but I remember the yarn was very splitty - is that a normal thing for cotton?

SueH said...

I just cannot get to grips with heel flaps - I do short-row shaping! My daughter cannot get her head round short-rows, but she can do heel flaps with ease!! (we are like a knitting version of Jack Spratt and his wife! ;-p)

...and you've reminded me that ages ago I started using up my leftover sock yarn on a mitred-square creation.....I shall have to hunt that out....! ;-)

SueH at The Knitting Assassin!