Monday, May 12, 2008

Well, Saturday was good

Saturday was, in fact, ace. I disappeared off into London to meet up at Diane's with lots of lovely knitters and spinners (Alice, Ysolda, Ali, Grit, Jen and Michaela. Have I remembered everyone? Some of whom were dyeing things, but there's a pic on Diane's blog so you can see more there. We bought some food and had a picnic lunch in one of the parks and it was so nice to be hanging around with normal people instead of all the weirdos in Windsor who don't understand knitting (or reading, or radio 4, or anything else that makes life worthwhile...). Then on the way back I popped into Stash to get another ball of yarn for the Secret Thing I'm making (and I promise, I did only buy that one ball of yarn) and discovered Nickerjac there, so another knitter to have a chat with.

Flat hunting is not going well. I attempted to view one last week but the man who was meant to be letting me in never turned up so I hung around for 25 minutes ringing the doorbell and looking rather silly. The owner then decided he wasn't going to rent it out after all. Then I went off to Colnbrook at lunchtime today to view a studio flat (or rather, rabbit hutch) which was equally depressing. There was actually only room for a sofabed in the living/bedroom so the idea was that you sat on it in the day and then made it into a bed at night. Helloooo?! I get fed up with constructing/deconstructing sofabeds during a week's holiday, so goodness knows what it would be like to live like that all the time. Colnbrook is very pretty, but rather close to Heathrow (in an eeek-that-plane-is-about-to-land-on-that-house sort of way).

Meanwhile, my housemates have acquired another dog. Which, rather unfortunately, is called Daisy. Now, them what knows me know that Daisy is really my middle name, but I do occasionally use it IRL and I do answer to it. So when Daisy (the dog) does a poo on the floor, I'm the one that ends up responding to the scream of "Daaaaiiiissssyyyyyyy", even though I know perfectly well that it wasn't me that did the poo on the floor. And Daisy (the dog) bounces round the garden looking all innocent. Anyway, quite apart from the poo on the floor, I'm not too impressed with Daisy. She smells. Really really badly. So I need to find a flat asap.

I am having a bit of a "am I doing the right thing?" moment too. I based my decision to take the job and move down here on various things, some of which haven't really worked out and then some Stuff happened at work last week which Really Pissed Me Off so I am cogitating on whether I actually want to find a flat and stay down here, or whether I should re-commence job hunting. In fact, I have informally re-commenced job-hunting, as I read the job supplement every fortnight anyway. Anyway, it'll be interesting to see how it all works out. Which part of the country should I move to next?! (knowing me it'll now be two years before any suitable jobs come up, but there you go, maybe Daisy will have stopped pooing on the floor by then!).

No knitting piccies I'm afraid this time. I'm in the middle of Something Secret, which I can't blog about, the bag can't go any further until I head North to find my sewing machine and I forgot to take a photo of the other stuff.

10 comments:

BabyLongLegs said...

Hugs, Daisy.......sounds like you're having a hard time of it atm.....
Why am I always last to the bargain yarn party??? sobs....

I rather like the look of the Debbie Bliss pure cashmere tho...

hehehe

More hugs....and lots of positive thoughts coming your way.....

Love
Sarah xXx

Linda said...

I hope things start to get better and a great job pops up for you. x

Steph said...

Keep looking; the right thing for you will come along. I found my job in Cornwall completely by chance, after casually googling for jobs here for several months. Best of luck! :-)

Ally Jay said...

Poor Daisy, you not the dog. We have a 7 yr old called Daisy (human) but while it is a cute name why is it used for so many animals??

Rosie said...

Well, I'm glad that Saturday was good (sounds fabulous) but sorry to hear about all the rest. When I rented a studio flat I asekd the agents to remove the sofabed (which was totally worn out) and I supplied my own futon. I left it in "bed formation" all day, but it was great as both sofa and bed. Also, being flat on the ground it made the shoebox feel larger. good luck with the job hunt: something will pop up when the time is right.

Anonymous said...

Poor you - smelly dogs are never fun.

Good luck on the job hunting front. Evr thought of working in the West Midlands? :-)

Nic said...

Saturday sounds great but boo to the rest. Living for the weekends then, huh?

I hope something comes up soon, you never know, do you? I'd have thought Windsor would be full of intellectual people who would listen to R4 and knit and and and.....

Nic xxx

Jamie said...

I'm sorry to hear the other Daisy has some, erm, issues. I hope you are able to find something better soon (job and housing). Best wishes in your searching!

acrylik said...

I'm glad you had a good Saturday, sounds fantastic. Really sorry to read about all the other stuff though. I have my fingers crossed for you that everything goes well on the job and flat hunting front.

Mary Anne said...

You gave me quite a laugh with the Daisy poo story, but I am sorry to hear what you're going through and I hope you find a job that fits you better - and living accommodations too. I have faith it will work out for the best soon.