Sunday, April 10, 2011

Speedy 4ply knitting

So the 4ply jumper isn't taking as long as I thought. I thought I'd be knitting forever, but the front is already finished:

and I'm well on the way with the back. I'm pleased with the way the colours worked out too - the front above looks like I got the two sides of the neck to match colour-wise, except I didn't, I just kept going and this is how it turned out! I'm pleased with the Noro Kureyon sock yarn too, not sure I'd want to knit socks with it and it's a bit thick-and-thin (the front took nearly a whole ball and it had a knot in it too) but I think it's great for a jumper. And it will even out a bit once it's blocked. I've added about an inch to the length (why have I started thinking in imperial again?!) as it seemed quite short in the pattern.

The OH and I had an afternoon in London last week too. We visited John Lewis on Oxford St to look for yarn for his jumper, and he chose some Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Aran, which I've enjoyed knitting before. Not sure I'd have chosen this colour myself, and I was expecting him to go for black or grey!


We had a really nice afternoon, including a trip to Foyles bookshop (so many books, so much better than Waterstones, I love it) where we had chocolate fudge cake in the café and a walk in Regents' Park. We also indulged in a few book purchases as well as the yarn...

And a friend of mine has started making cards to sell on my Fair Trade stall - not sure if anyone out there is interested, but these are some of the sheepy and Easter ones she's made for me so far. She does take commissions...
They cost £1.50 each, with 50p going to Traidcraft (a charity that works to promote Fair Trade, and improve conditions in developing countries). Let me know if you're interested!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I miss Foyles. I once got to go there with a nice large budget (setting up a library) and buy lots and lots!

The jumper looks like it'll be gorgeous!

Tina said...

The jumper will be great! And the colour your OH chose is exactly what I would have taken :-) And so nice to look at while knitting compared to black or grey, isn't it :)
Tina in "springy" Germany

Steph said...

I love cashmerino aran, and your jumper looks fab!

Mary Anne said...

Chocolate fudge cake...yummy (see, my eyes went to that right away :)

The colours in your jumper are so beautiful. I like the colour of the manly jumper too.

liz h said...

You've started thinking in imperial because it is a far superior system to the ridiculously boring base-10 metric one.

I've knitted a pair of socks in kureyon sock - I don't recommend it. I do have 4 balls of it, in a variety of colourways, so I need to figure out something to do with it!