Sunday, April 24, 2011

Feeling the heat

Like me, Yarnstorm has been struggling with the unseasonal heat and its effect on her garden. Our tulips are already over, and I'm sure last year they were still on the go in May. We're having to water every night at the moment, which you just don't expect to do in April! It's got up to about 25° several days this week, which is just about over the limit where I feel comfortable (I get sunstroke pretty easily so can't really stay out in it for very long) and way past the point when the OH feels comfortable. So instead of a nice long spring full of fun visits to places, it looks like we're going to be stuck indoors forever.



I had a lovely weekend last weekend though, as I went up to Lincolnshire to visit Mum for a couple of nights. Once we'd got past the nightmare train journey on the way up (the return trip was fine, and I was 30 minutes early getting home again!), I had a great time, doing a lot of catching up with Mum and various other people on the Sunday. On the Saturday we went to a friend's wedding, of someone I was at school with, back in the mists of time (it feels like a VERY long time ago being back at school!).

She looked absolutely amazing and the service was wonderful. I was rather impressed that they both stood for the entire service too - we sat down for the readings and the sermon. I don't think my knees would have held me up otherwise! It had extra resonance as it was the first wedding I'd been to since ours last summer so I kept remembering that the last time I'd heard those words it was me/the OH saying them! (soppy, me?!). I had wondered in advance whether it might be a bit upsetting - this is the church where we used to go for school carol services, which my Dad used to come to, and there's always the "she's got her Dad to take her down the aisle" thing too, but when it came to it, it was such a joyful occasion I didn't really think about it.

Bizarrely the church was a lot smaller than I remembered (I was 18 when I last went in it) and also a lot lighter and brighter, but I suppose that's the contrast between chilly December and sunny April. I'm also mystified about how on earth we squashed the school orchestra into the small space at the front. The space looks tiny now, but I can recall both playing my 'cello and being able to breathe so it can't have been that bad.

It was also a chance to catch up with a lot of my old school friends, some of whom I hadn't seen for over a decade! We were all still recognisable, and I think I even managed to remember everyone's children's and partner's names...


Oh, and I got to hold a baby belonging to one friend whilst she sorted her bag out, and the baby promptly snuggled up and went to sleep on me - so cute!


Even more amazingly, our old form teacher was there, whom I hadn't seen for about 20 years. She must be in her 80s now, but still looked just the same (!). It was so nice to see everyone, as these are people who really helped me out when I was a small, terrified 11 year old, just arrived at secondary school and feeling very lost and bewildered. And then a bigger , marginally more confident, 18 year old heading off into the big wide world...

It was a pretty exhausting weekend, but fortunately last week was a four day week with the bank holiday for Good Friday, so it wasn't too bad going back to work. I have had a few dilemmas in the garden - does anyone know what these plants are? I'm a bit mystified.


3 comments:

Victoria T said...

Everything looks wonderful. I'm sorry you are experiencing such heat. We've been up in the low 90s (F, I guess about 34 C?) lately, and it feels like June weather! I hate it. I really don't like hot weather and would much prefer constant winter than constant summer. But, it'll be getting even hotter, so I should just get used to it.

I'm sorry your tulips are going--they are so pretty! And it sounds like you had a nice time with some old friends. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Tina said...

Weather is the same here in south western Germany, too hot, too dry. Where is Spring? Garden is in full growth and needs a lot of watering, too. Our tulips are gone. We finally installed our dripping-hoses to the flower and veggie beds and bought a new sprayer for the lawn so that we don’t have to stand outside watering for an hour every night. Sorry, no idea what those plants are…
Looks like you had a really good time with old friends and family!

Mary Anne said...

Our tulips didn't grow because of all the rain and cold; we are still below seasonal temps. I wish we could share our weather with each other.

What a lovely weekend you had with your mum, friends and school chums, plus the a wedding. Great photos too, especially the one of you and the baby (so cute!).