Friday, November 04, 2005

Bobbles

Well, Thursday's attempt at ethical transport went totally wrong. It was raining so I decided not to cycle to the station (wimp), so drove down, and of course there was nowhere to park. So I drove 15 miles to the mainline station at Newark, where I had to pay £4.50 to park. Thus I drove 30 miles more than needed yesterday, and parking my bike at Lincoln would have been free! Grrrr... Will try again next time.

I do however have some very fluffy knitting links, as supplied by my lovely fluffy DB - cool or what?!

First of all we have a bad knitting joke:

A highway patrolman pulled alongside a speeding car on the freeway. Glancing at the car, he was astounded to see that the lady behind the wheel was knitting! Realizing that she was oblivious to his flashing lights and siren, the trooper cranked down his window, turned on his bullhorn and yells, "PULLOVER!" "NO," she yelled back over the sound of the siren, "It's a SCARF!"

Then we have some links:
This is a link to a list of books which have knitting somewhere in them!
And this is Google local - type in "wool shops" and your postcode and you get a list of local sources of yarn! It doesn't seem to work as well for "yarn shops", probably because most of the shops over here seem to have wool in the title rather than yarn. It's also not particularly exact, so it's worth also searching for "knitting" and your postcode or something like that and then cross-referencing with the first results.

And finally, a cartoon strip that manages to combine knitting & librarians!


Meanwhile, I've finished off the little hats for the Innocent Drinks/Age Concern winter charity campaign thingummy.
Bobbles supplied by Innocent Drinks. I think each is unique - I used some of the various bits of DK I've got for charity/toy knitting. They also have some pics of other people's hats - very funny indeed!

I've also enjoyed reading Yarnstorm's latest post, about combining wine, chocolate, books and yarn!
If you like curly whirlie scarves, Hazel has set up a Curly Whirlie blog, which I'm attempting to avoid joining in because I'm MAKING CHRISTMAS PRESENTS. Ahem.
OH NO, and I received my yummy yummy Debbie Bliss Cathay in the post yesterday (ordered last week to cheer myself up, so haven't broken the yarn diet ;-) as cheering up doesn't count!). Want to start knitting that too.... This is the pattern it's for. It's actually purple, although it looks blue in this pic cos it's raining outside.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Laughed at the joke and the library + knitting comic strip. Thanks for the links especially the google local which turned up a surprisingly high no. of local (ish) yarn shops I never knew existed - hmmm some exploring to do. Love your tiny innocent hats + the halloween and snowman ones on the site. Can't you do some curly whirly scarves as Xmas presents? And finally I'm also seruoulsy considering the DB asymmetrical sweater as a future project - it's lovely isn't it?

Mary Anne said...

Katie,
those hats are adorable, all 20 of them! Way to go. Thanks for all the knitting links. I love those curly whirly scarves too. The DB yarn is gorgeous and the sweater pattern you chose is lovely. I like the way you think - yarn for cheering you up doesn't count in the yarn diet. That's a great theory!

MissLucy said...

Oh no. Shouldn't have clicked on that link. Love the ribbed sweater. Must have it.