Monday, April 16, 2007

Keswick

So, I haven't updated the blog for a bit. (did you know around 1.5m posts are written every day?!) I've been busy doing LOADS of things in the meantime, which I shall woffle on about in some future post, because this one's about the holiday I've just been on. To Keswick. Again. Like last year. And the year before that.

I've stolen the exciting new way of playing with photos from Anne, cos I think it's cool. Just click on the little pics to see all the pics in each set.

This is St Kentigern's (no, I hadn't heard of him either) church, where we went on Easter Day. It's a lovely, busy church, with a choir that sang in tune and which was crammed full of people (some of them under 50!), and just look at the setting, the scenery is breathtaking. They also had simnel cake and coffee in the church hall afterwards where we met loads of other visitors (wonder how many they normally get at services?)

We went for a walk up part of Latrigg, with some spectacular views over Derwentwater.



You could tell it had been a very mild winter as there were still holly berries on the trees. In fact it was incredibly warm and sunny all week, more like summer than the beginning of Spring. Although, as it's further north than home the spring flowers were a little further behind.



These are some photos of Skiddaw, which is near the cottage. We didn't actually climb it (although I'd like to some day. Mum has climbed it before ("in her youth") but claimed her knees were no longer up to it).


Some alpacas were sighted in the distance on the walk up to the Whinlatter Forest Park. Unfortunately the ospreys hadn't arrived yet, but you can watch out for them on this webcam.



We visited both the Wool Clip and Indigo Knits at Penrith. These photos show Indigo Knits, which was fab, with lots of naturally dyed yarn. I bought the crochet bag kit shown in one of the photos, it's Herdwick wool in two different (natural) shades - so I'm not breaking my yarn diet as this is supporting local farmers and a local business and not the sort of thing I can buy at home!


And we went to Grey Stone House Farm (near Penrith) for tea and cake at the farm shop and to see some lambs!


And I'll be back sometime soon (hopefully) with more of an update about knitting and books and things like that.

13 comments:

Piglottie said...

Wonderful pictures. I love the Lakes too (shall be going in about a month). I love the pic of Indigo Knits.

Anonymous said...

Must. Get. To. The. Lake. District.

I haven't been for YEARS - it feels like almost a spiritual necessity - esp with such flat countryside round Cambridge.

And there are yarn shops too?

Must. Go...

Linda said...

Oh, what a lovely place! I'd like to visit there again. Look forward to your knitting news.

acrylik said...

Ooooh, lucky you going to the Wool Clip! And of course, the yarn diet doesn't count in these local shops, I totally agree with you there! :D I shall have to get to Indigo as I'm living not too far away at the moment.

Sounds like you've had an amazing holiday, and I love all your pictures.

Kat said...

lovely photos! Sounds liek you've had a fab time and good weather to top it all off!

Seahorse said...

Lovely pics, especially the yarn shots!

Mary Anne said...

It sounds like a wonderful holiday and those are great photos!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful pictures! I may have to get a color cartridge for my printer and print them out. So gorgeous.

KnitYoga said...

What spectacular photos! Sounds and looks like you had a fantastic holiday!

T said...

Your photos are beautiful and I like the Good Widget you're using! :D I've never been to the Lake District and that makes me sad.
Glad you had a good time :)

Sue H said...

Beautiful photo's of beautiful places. Wish I could visit there again, but I'll just have to satisfy myself with nice places here in Australia.
I love the way we "justify" yarn purchases when we are on a yarn diet, lol. I've certainly been guilty.

dreamcatcher said...

Great photos and I like the widget gizmo too! Love the yarn piccies :-)

Rain said...

It looks like you had a fabulous time.