Thursday, June 01, 2006

Stuff

Well, a bit of a catch-up is in order I think as I don't seem to have blogged about knitting and vital things like that for ages.

But first, Debbie sent me this link, and I think it's a cool idea so put it on here in case anybody else wanted to join in. Basically, the idea is for one million people to donate 2p each (or more) to help kids in developing countries to have an education.

I've been receiving quotes from removal companies, and have decided to go for the "removal company doing the packing" option. At first I thought this was a bit of an extravagance, then I worked out that in the three weeks before the move I'd be working in London, Kent, Derbyshire and Norfolk, but not in Lincolnshire so I wouldn't actually BE around to pack anyway. And it doesn't cost much extra cos I've already got to pay extra for an extra man to come and help move my piano.
And then they mentioned the 22 boxes I'd need for books, plus craft stuff, plus all the breakable stuff in the kitchen and that decided it...
Good grief, it's only 5 years since I graduated first time round and all my stuff came home in the back of one car. Now I need a (small) lorry and people to pack for me!

Here at Procrastination Central (was meant to be writing Committee Minutes and cleaning the bathroom), I have been cataloguing my stash, using the spreadsheet from KatyDidKnits (in the sidebar, scroll down). And also sorted out some future projects I'd like to do and WROTE THE DETAILS down (otherwise I end up wandering vaguely in and staring in a vague manner at my pile of knitting magazines and never finding the pattern I liked the look of ever again).

Then I found these two balls of Regia 4ply sock yarn in my stash:

I am extremely unlikely ever to knit using sock yarn in this colour. (The yarn was in a multibuy from Black Rock Creek last year, which included some Regia Cotton Surf and 6ply Crazy Colours and some Lorna's Laces. It was fantastic value, even with scary coloured yarn as part of it).
So I used some more of the Koolaid and dyed it. It's drying at the moment, but pics will be up soon.

Then the library emailed to say that ALL of my book reservations had come in at once (aaarrrggghh, this generally also means that someone else has reserved them all, so I now have to get through all of them in about three weeks). I'm off on holiday on Sunday so my holiday reading is going to be:
"A long way down" by Nick Hornby
"The sea" by John Banville
"Poppy Shakespeare" by Clare Allan
"1599 a year in the life of William Shakespeare" by James Shapiro
plus the summer 2006 issue of Interweave Knits which I've just ordered from P and M Woolcraft.
I have also been considering which knitting to take with me. I have to take my Trekking XXL, plus the Hedera pattern to get started, as the Trek Along With Me knitalong starts today, and a holiday in the Lake District seems to be the perfect opportunity to take some knitting on a hike.
Oh, but I've cast on for Eloise too. And I still haven't finished at least three other WIPs. Oops.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Definitely, definitely, definitely get the removal firm to pack for you if you can afford it. (I loathe and detest packing with a vengeance - can you tell?!)

Can't wait to see what the over-dyed sock yarn looks like!

Mary Anne said...

yes, having the moving van people pack also is the best way to go if you can afford it. So much less wear & tear on you.

Have a terrific holiday in the Lake District and I hope to see photos on your blog when you return!

ps: I hope Monkey will behave while you are away...

Seahorse said...

Have a great holiday!

Unknown said...

What a good idea..I have two balls in that exact same color, and I kep thinking "why did I buy these??"

But overdyeing with kool aid is brilliant! Thanks for the idea.

It might even be a project to keep the resident children busy this afternoon.