Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Time...

What I want to know is: how does everyone else manage to fit everything into their time? Bit like Anne's post about the two extra days each week solely for parents! Except I'm not a parent. I never seem to have time to do everything. I have now purchased a freezer, so I can cook in large quantities and then just reheat a meal some nights. I have also arranged an organic veggie box delivery from Woodlands farm to cut down on time spent fresh food shopping. I have decided to stay over at work one night a week (which saves 3 hours of travel), but I can't think of any other ways to acquire more time. It's not like I even regularly clean the house (hah) or do any ironing! Good grief, imagine what it'll be like when I am a parent (a very very very long time in the future).

Monkey has been constructing flat pack furniture. His woolly banana (back from a month's holiday in London) helped:

I like the bit when you get lots of strangely shaped pieces of wood out, plus hundreds of screws/strange looking bits of metal, plus one page of A4 of incomprehensible diagrams

and somehow turn it into something!

I've decided that one way of saving time is to get someone in from "Hire a hubby" (what a fab concept) to do all the drilling things that I'm proving to be hopeless at. I'll get all the mirrors, big pictures, blinds, curtain tie backs, bathroom shelf, smoke alarms put up in one go and that's that sorted!

There is also an electrician coming tomorrow to sort out my insane kitchen electrics:

Although a fridge space was provided underneath the worktop no one thought to put a socket at the back of it. Hence the extension lead.
On the other wall this socket is in an incredibly daft position. I have to use it as there are only 3 sockets for the whole kitchen, and a fridge, toaster, microwave and kettle to be plugged into them. But imagine what will happen if a small nephew-shaped person comes running through and sees that cable dangling enticingly there...


I have spent some time doing knitting things too (mainly in the evening just before bed!)
Have you seen the new Rowan Magazine (no. 40)? I've been looking at the pics online, but really want to see a copy in the flesh. It looks like there could be some nice stuff this time though. The RYC Classic stuff also looks nice - Classic Landscape, Classic Spirit, Classic Alpaca (yum) and Classic Style. I'm going up to Edinburgh in a month's time so will probably wait 'til then to look out for all of these for real. I'm planning to drag Mum to the Handknit shop. Anybody got any other Edinburgh recommendations? We're only there for three days...


I've finished the first sleeve of Eloise so only one sleeve to go now. It might be quite a close run thing with the yarn...This is 26 balls of Kool Kotton from CPU enterprises (Dianne's knitting yarns). Most impressive service, the yarn was only 99p a ball, they have flat-rate postage of £1.95 and it arrived the next day after ordering! This is for the leafy throw from Simply Knitting a few issues back.


And, finally, an umbilical cord baby hat (pattern from Stitch n' Bitch) for a friend's baby due this month. The yarn is oddments of Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Aran left from making Tubey.

7 comments:

KnitYoga said...

Definitely do the hire a hubby thing! The colours in the yarn you've used for Eloise look lovely.

Anonymous said...

Eloise looks great - and I agree about the latest Rowan - it's the first time I've been tempted to break my strict Don't-BUY-any-patterns rule (there are so many free ones online...)

Heather said...

I'm afraid I can't help with the more time thing, if you do work out how to get more hours into a day I would love to know!

Nic said...

Yes! I need more time, I'm thing an extra 5hrs a day would work.
Hire a hubby sounds like a good idea as long as its a 100% motivated to get things done one though or you might just end up witha sloath on the settee/in front of the computer and still have to do stuff yourself. Not that I know anyone like that-honest ;o)
Nic
xx

Mary Anne said...

Eloise is looking lovely! Good idea to hire someone to help you with the electrical/putting together bits.
Retirement - that's how I fit everything into my time, kiddo :)

Anonymous said...

Looks like youa re settling into your new home - problems and all! Congrats on your move. I know what you mean about time - I am constantly feeling time starved and it doesn't seem to matter what time I get up or go to bed - even when I'm up early and in bed late their are not enough hours in the day!

Angie said...

Happy to Monkey sit when you stay at work..b.t.w Husbands good at D.I.Y ..not necessarily true !