Thursday, January 12, 2006

Secret Pal 7 Questionnaire

Hello Secret Pal! Hope you're having a nice day! I'm looking forward to hearing from you! *big wave*. I just thought I'd better warn you that I work away from home for about half of each week. Don't worry, there's always someone here to get parcels/post etc but when I'm at work I don't have internet or email access. So there may be a delay in replying to you or in letting you know that something has arrived. I will try to let you know as soon as I can, and shouldn't be away for more than 3/4 days at a time!


1. Are you a yarn snob (do you prefer higher quality and/or natural fibers)? Do you avoid Red Heart and Lion Brand?

I now know what Red Heart and Lion Brand are and I think they're much better than the equivalent English cheapy acrylic stuff! That Magic Stripes sock yarn was pretty much indistinguishable from Opal! I prefer natural fibres but do use manmade stuff in the funky yarns and for stuff that needs to be machine washable (eg baby clothes)

2. Do you spin? Crochet?
No to both, although I did try spinning once ages ago and really enjoyed it.

3. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?
I'm halfway through making a needle case/roll thing for my straight needles. My DPNs and circulars are all stuffed in a cupboard!

4. How long have you been knitting? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?
Just over a year. I'm somewhere between beginner and intermediate. So far I've managed everything I've attempted (including socks, garments, cables etc) and I'm about to embark on lace!

5. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
Yes! Go to Amazon.co.uk and search for my wish list under "Daisychains" or by my email address.

6. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products etc.)
I love lavender and citrussy smells like lemon or bergamot. I won't use products that have been tested on animals.

7. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?
Silly question if you could see the amount of chocolate I get through! I don't eat Nestle products (cos they're evil!)

8. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do?
I sometimes do cross stitch, and very occasional card-making. Oh and I'm going on a rag-rug making course in 10 days time!

9. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
Classical, Dido, Cranberries, Iona, film soundtracks (like Bridget Jones!). My computer can play MP3s.

10. What's your favorite color? Or--do you have a color family/season/palette you prefer? Any colors you just can't stand?
I love colours in the purple/burgundy/plum/pink range of colours. The only colours I really hate are lime green and orange!

11. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
I've got a boyfriend who lives on the other side of the country! I live in what was a granny flat next door to my Mum's house. She has a cat (Sooty) who visits me regularly!

12. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?
Yes to scarves, hats and mittens but a big NO to ponchos! Actually it's so cold where I work that I wear hats, scarves and fingerless mittens (so I can type) there!

13. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with?
Oooh well so far I've loved RYC Cashsoft and Opal and Regia sock yarn. Oh and sock yarn from Curious Yarns! I love handpainted/dyed/variegated yarn.

14. What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
There's nothing I totally hate, but I'm not that keen on Rowan Summer Tweed (something about the texture).

15. What is/are your current knitting obsession/s?
Socks, definitely socks. I'm completely obsessed.

16. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
Er. Socks?!

17. What are you knitting right now?
Erm. That would be socks... Actually the Jaywalker pattern. I also have a jumper in Jaeger Chamonix on the go (see previous posts), and I've just got the yarn to make Tubey.

18. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?
Ooooh yes please!

19. Do you prefer straight or circular needles?
Both! I have a set of Denises and some other circulars as well as straights. I knit socks on DPNs or two circulars (and have the Magic Loop booklet so I'm about to learn that too!)

20. Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
All. Any.

21. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?
No but I'd like too!

22. How did you learn to knit?
From the Stitch n' Bitch book.

23. How old is your oldest UFO?
Erm. About 10 days?! (I had a big UFO finishing-off session before Christmas!)

24. What is your favorite animated character or a favorite animal/bird?
I like horses and cats.

25. What is your favorite holiday?
Youth hostelling or camping in a beautiful part of the UK with plenty of walking and trips to yarn shops (and time for knitting) thrown in.

26. Is there anything that you collect?
Erm. Does yarn count?!

27. What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
Simply Knitting (UK Magazine)

28. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on?
Oooh, yes. See my Amazon wish list, the Curious yarns website, the list is endless...

29. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?
Probably not at the moment as I'm about to launch into learning Magic Loop and lace knitting...


30. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?
Am I a human being? I love knitting socks! Foot measurements - UK 5.5 AA width. That translates as 9.5" length and about 7" round the foot (they are very narrow!)

31. When is your birthday? (mm/dd)
October 18th

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just your Secret Pal lurking around! Hmmm... I've got some good ideas about what to send you...
:)

/SP7, AKC