Monday, June 13, 2005

Teen Knits

Well first of all I've changed the photo on the section two entries down so that the button picture is actually a bit more in focus! There was a lovely selection of hand-painted buttons at the Alpaca Centre, although everyone looked a little puzzled that I chose six different buttons rather than ones that matched. But it's more fun that way... Not sure what I'm going to do with them yet, although I have got a Colinette pattern at the back of my mind...

I also forgot to post the pic of my HipKnits cotton swatch - knitted on holiday.



Doesn't it look fab?! This is stocking stitch, and it knitted up to a DK tension so summer top pattern here I come. Although Debbie said she'd got a jumper pattern from Rebecca that might look good in it too. This would probably be better as it's a little bit see through in places! Anyway, I have a large pile of yarn and a dissertation to be getting on with in the meantime!

I've been listening to all the stuff on the radio about Live 8 and Make Poverty History etc and thought that now might be the time to reread Cause Celeb by Helen Fielding. This is a really good read, very different to Bridget Jones. It's moving and funny all at the same time. Also, Radio 4's Book at Bedtime this week is "Notes on a Scandal" by Zoe Heller. This is also a good read, if a little chilling at times...

On the subject of books, but knitting ones this time, I received my "free" copy of Teen Knits in the post this morning. It was last month's offer from Knitting magazine, and all I had to do was send a cheque for the P & P. I was really disappointed, as I was hoping it would have some interesting, young designs that would appeal to teenagers (and young people like me!) But it was dreadful, the patterns are more the sort of thing you'd knit for toddlers. I even took it along to Rangers tonight to see what the girls made of it - they (4 14 year olds and a 16 year old) announced that no self-respecting "teen" would ever dream of wearing this stuff. In fact they thought it was hilariously funny! Think this may be one for Ebay!

Right. Must get off to bed now, meant to be on placement tomorrow and will never be up in time to catch the bus if I'm not careful. Bye!

No comments: